Submissions now open for all photography and writing categories
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida, April 19, 2011 - The LPGA announced today that submissions are now open for the second annual LPGA Global Media Awards Presented by Rolex, hosted by the Evian Masters. The Awards will acknowledge the best of the best in photo journalism and writing over a one-year period. Award winners will be recognized during a special event hosted at the Hotel Ermitage following second-round play at the Evian Masters on July 22, 2011.
Award entries will be judged in the following categories:
1. Column/Blog - Given to a journalist who offers the best reflection of an opinion or point of view with analysis in either the form of a column or in a blog.
2. Player Profile - Given to a journalist who portrays the lifestyle, personality and character of an LPGA player.
3. Golf Course Photograph from an LPGA Tour Event - A single image that best depicts the beauty of an LPGA Tour event golf course. Images entered may or may not feature players, but must be captured during the week of any LPGA tournament on the tournament golf course.
4. Player Action Photograph - A single image of a player in action during practice or competition days during the week of any LPGA tournament on the tournament golf course.
5. Player Personality/Emotion Photograph - A single image of a player displaying her personality, or demonstrating emotion on or off the golf course at any point in time.
6. Evian Masters Ambassador of the Year Photograph (Azahara Munoz) - A single image featuring 2010-11 Evian Masters Ambassador of the Year Azahara Munoz during practice or competition days at any LPGA Tour event.
7. Media Appreciation Award - Given to an LPGA player for excellence in working cohesively with the media on a regular basis. A select panel of prominent journalists will choose the winner
8. Rolex Media Excellence Award - The LPGA and its partners also will honor a prominent journalist for his or her longtime coverage of the LPGA.
All considered material for the second annual awards must have been published between May 24, 2010 and May 23, 2011 (the day following the 2011 Sybase Match Play Championship). All journalists and photographers who wish to submit entries, please use FTP site, 184.108.40.206 (Username/Password: lpga-media). For further information on submissions, please contact LPGA Communications Manager Kelly Thesier at (386) 274-6276 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
An independent panel of world-wide photography experts will be assembled to judge photography entries, while a panel of international members of the Golf Writers Association of America (GWAA) will review all written submissions.
The 2011 Evian Masters will welcome 111 players competing for an LPGA Tour-high purse of $3.25 million. The 72-hole event will take place July 21-24 in Evian-les-Baines, France.
At last year's inaugural awards ceremony, Patricia Davies, a golfers&co magazine writer who has reported on golf for nearly 30 years for media outlets including The Times of London, The Guardian and Golf World (U.K.), was honored with the Rolex Media Excellence Award. The other 2010 winners:
• Golf Course Photograph / LPGA event: Stephen Dunn: Kia Classic Presented by J Golf
• Player Action Photograph: Stuart Franklin: Lorena Ochoa
• Player Personality / Emotion: Kevin C. Cox: Michelle Wie
• Evian Ambassador of the Year Photograph (I.K. Kim): Jin Jig Joung
• Player Profile: Ron Sirak, GolfWorld Magazine: Kathy Whitworth
• Column/Blog: Randall Mell, GolfChannel.com: Meg Mallon