Evian Masters to host third-annual LPGA Global Media Awards Presented by Rolex
Modifications made to the 2012 writing and photography categories
Submissions now being accepted
DAYTONA BEACH, Florida, April 12, 2012 – The LPGA announced today that submissions are now open for the third-annual LPGA Global Media Awards Presented by Rolex, hosted by the Evian Masters. The awards will acknowledge the finest photo journalism and writing submissions over a one-year period. Award winners will be recognized during a special event at the Hotel Ermitage following the second-round of play on July 27, 2012. Evian Ambassador Juli Inkster will serve as the player host for the event along with LPGA Chief Communications Officer Kraig Kann as the master of ceremonies.
New categories and slight changes were made to the awards this year. Entries will be judged by the following:
1. News – Given to a journalist who delivered outstanding coverage of an LPGA tournament, a Tour announcement or other breaking news event.
2. Feature – Given to a journalist who best showcased a human interest element on the LPGA Tour, portrayed the personality and character of an LPGA Tour player or delivered an insightful look into a topic of interest on the LPGA Tour.
3. Column -- Given to a journalist who offers the best reflection of an opinion or point of view with analysis.
4. Golf Course Photograph from an LPGA Tour Event – A single image that best depicts the beauty of an LPGA Tour event golf course. Images entered may or may not feature players, but must be captured during the week of any LPGA tournament on the tournament golf course.
5. Player Action Photograph – A single image of a player in action during practice or competition days during the week of any LPGA tournament on the tournament golf course.
6. Player Personality/Emotion Photograph – A single image of a player displaying her personality, or demonstrating emotion on or off the golf course at any point in time.
7. Evian Masters Ambassador of the Year Photograph -- A single image featuring 2011-12 Evian Masters Ambassador of the Year Juli Inkster during practice or competition days at any LPGA Tour event.
All considered material for the third annual awards must have been published between May 24, 2011 and May 21, 2012 (the day following the 2012 Sybase Match Play Championship). All journalists and photographers who wish to submit entries, please use the following link: http://upload.lpgamediacenter.com.For further information on submissions, please contact LPGA Tour Media Manager Kelly Thesier at (386) 274-6276 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Media Services Coordinator Katie Ann Robinson at (386) 274-6282 or email@example.com.
The Golf Writers Association of America (GWAA) will serve as the judging panel for the written categories, while a similar professional organization or group of individuals will review the photography submissions. All of the finalists in each category will then be featured on LPGA.com.
The 2012 Evian Masters will welcome 111 players competing for an LPGA Tour-high purse of $3.25 million. The 72-hole event will take place July 26-29 in Evian-les-Baines, France.
At last year’s awards ceremony, Reiko Takekawa of KYODO News was honored with the Rolex Media Excellence Award. She has covered both the LPGA and PGA Tours for more than 13 years and also writes regularly for Sports Graphic Number, Weekly Par Golf Magazine, Chunichi Sports and Sportiva. Other 2011 winners include:
- Column/Blog: Beth Ann Baldry of GolfWeek Magazine: “Dollars and Degrees” on the choice made by golfers of when to turn professional.
- Player Profile: Bill Fields of Golf World (U.S.) Magazine: “The Young and the Relentless” which profiled the rise of players from South Korea on the LPGA Tour.
- Golf Course Photography/LPGA Tour event: Philippe Millereau: Evian Masters
- Player Action Photograph: David Cannon: Paula Creamer
- Evian Ambassador of the Year Photograph (Azahara Munoz): Eddy Lemaistre
- Player Personality/Emotion Photograph: Julian Finney: Paula Creamer