Award winners to receive new 2015 Kia K900 Luxury Sedan
Daytona Beach, Florida, January 20, 2014 – As the 2014 LPGA Tour season kicks off this week in the Bahamas, Kia Motors America (KMA) and the LPGA Tour will be on the lookout for a new set of extraordinary performances - both on and off the golf course - to honor at the third-annual Kia Performance Awards. Kia, the Official Automotive Partner of the LPGA Tour, will reward each of the four recipients of the 2014 Kia Performance Awards with a 2015 Kia K900, the brand’s first-ever luxury sedan. The K900 is also now the official vehicle of the LPGA.
“It’s very exciting to be kicking off another season of the LPGA Tour’s march to the Kia Performance Awards,” said Michael Sprague, executive vice president of marketing & communications, Kia Motors America. “We anticipate a thrilling year of championship golf and look forward to recognizing four players for their outstanding achievements by awarding each an all-new 2015 K900, Kia’s first rear-drive luxury sedan and the next bold example of the challenger spirit that has benefitted our brand for over two decades.”
Last November, four LPGA Tour stars became proud owners of 2014 Kia Cadenza premium sedans at the season-ending CME Group Titleholders. This year, four winners will drive away in Kia’s flagship sedan – the new 2015 K900.
The 2014 Kia Performance Awards are:
- Kia Power Drive – Won in 2013 by Nicole Smith; awarded to the player with the longest average driving distance
- Kia Drive to the Top – Won in 2013 by Stacy Lewis; awarded to the player with the most top-10 finishes
- Kia Most Compelling Performance – Won in 2013 by Beatriz Recari; recognizing a player with exceptional performances throughout the year; this award will be chosen by fans through an online vote
- Kia Community Assist – Won in 2013 by Cristie Kerr; recognizing a player who makes exceptional contributions to charity organizations or community programs
Beginning at this week’s Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic, LPGA Tour members will have the opportunity to earn their first nomination for this year’s Kia Most Compelling Performance Award. Each month throughout the 2014 LPGA Tour season, one player will be selected to be in the running for the award. Fans will then have the opportunity to vote for the winner of the Kia Most Compelling Performance Award on the LPGA’s official Facebook page and website in October. Performances may include a single tournament, multiple tournaments, single-round accomplishments or record-breaking performances. Last year’s category included the following nominees:
- February: Yani Tseng, who carded a 9-under 63 at the Honda LPGA Thailand
- March: Stacy Lewis, who captured back-to-back victories at the HSBC Women’s Champions and the RR Donnelley LPGA Founders Cup
- April/June: Inbee Park, who was nominated twice for winning the two tournaments in April and in June as she etched her name in the history books when she became just the second player in LPGA Tour history to clinch the first three majors of the year
- May: Jennifer Johnson, who broke the tournament record with a 21-under-par 267 total at the Mobile Bay LPGA Classic to become the first Rolex First-Time Winner of the season
- July: Beatriz Recari, who earned her third LPGA Tour win of her career at the Marathon Classic Presented by Owens Corning & O-I, outdueling Paula Creamer in a one-hole playoff for the win.
- August: Caroline Hedwall, who became the first player in Solheim Cup history to go 5-0 in competition
- September: Suzann Pettersen, who became the first winner of LPGA’s fifth major, The Evian Championship
- October: Lexi Thompson, who earned her first official LPGA victory at the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia followed by another win at the Lorena Ochoa Invitational
- November: ShanShan Feng for her come-from-behind victory at the season-ending event, CME Group Titleholders
Winners of the 2014 Kia Performance Awards will be recognized at the season-ending CME Group Tour Championship, which is set for November 20-23 in Naples, Fla.