Started playing golf at the age of 12...Credits her parents as the individuals who influenced her career the most...Hobbies include soccer, skiing and watching movies...Qualified for the Tour on her first attempt...Has her own Web site, www.mariahernandez.com.
2016 in a Nutshell
- 20 events, 11 cuts made, $62,995 (105)
- 19 events, 3 cuts made, $15,208 (149)
- In 2013, had one start
- In 2012, had 13 starts with a best finish of a T59 at the Manulife Financial LPGA Classic.
- In 2011, best finish was a tie for 32nd at the Avent LPGA Classic.
- In 2010, best finish was a tie for 14th at the RICOH Women's Open. Won the Allianz Ladies Slovak Open for her first LET victory.
- In 2009, turned professional in June; finished sixth at the LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament,where she earned Priority List Category 11 for the 2010 LPGA season; played in the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic Presented by Kroger and tied for 52nd at the CN Canadian Women's Open.
Hernandez, the 2009 NCAA Player of the Year from Purdue University, turned in a strong collegiate career, which was capped off with the NCAA Division I Individual Championship. She won 13 times while at Purdue University, and in 2008, she won the Big Ten Conference Championship and was named the Purdue Female Athlete of the Year. She's a two-time Duramed National Golf Coaches Association (NGCA) All-American First Team selection, and a two-time Big Ten Conference Player of the Year, both in 2007 and 2008. An eight year member of the Spanish National Team, Hernandez is a five-time European Team Championship gold medalist, and earned a gold medal at the 2005 Mediterranean Games as an individual and as a team.