FIVE WINS, FIVE COUNTRIES FOR KORDA
Jessica Korda doesn’t necessarily play favorites when it comes to finding locations that suit her game. Her five LPGA Tour victories have come in five different countries – Australia (2012 ISPS Handa Women’s Australian Open), Bahamas (2014 Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic), the United States (2014 Airbus LPGA Classic presented by JTBC), Malaysia (2015 Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia) and Thailand (2018 Honda LPGA Thailand). But while she seems to play well everywhere, she finds the LPGA’s tournaments across Asia to be among her favorites.
“I usually like the golf courses. Greens are always in great shape,” said Korda. “The greens are usually really fast, which is what I like. And a lot of them we play long and the par-5s are gettable. It just suits a long hitter and I like making birdies.”
ACES FOR HENDERSON, JUTANUGARN ON FRIDAY
After Brittany Altomare made a hole-in-one on Thursday, two more players joined her with aces at the 2019 Buick LPGA Shanghai. Brooke Henderson became the first player this season to record more than one hole-in-one when she aced No. 2. She previously made an ace on the third hole on the first round at the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give, a tournament she went on to win.
“When I have a hole-in-one in past tournaments, it's been a really good thing,” said Henderson. “I've gone on to play really well. So I was excited when it happened.”
Additionally, Ariya Jutanugarn only needed her tee shot at No. 11, from 144 yards and with an 8-iron. It was the second hole-in-one of her LPGA Tour career, joining the 12th hole of the fourth round at the 2013 Honda LPGA Thailand, and the third ace she’s ever made.
For every hole-in-one during the 2019 LPGA Tour season, CME Group will donate $20,000 to St. Jude’s Research Hospital. With the three aces so far at Qizhong Garden Golf Club, the season tally jumps to 28 aces and $560,000.
Rolex Rankings No. 6 Brooke Henderson (69-64)
- She hit 12 of 14 fairways and 14 of 18 greens, with 24 putts
- Henderson is in her fifth season on the LPGA Tour; she is a nine-time winner on the LPGA Tour and is the winningest Canadian player in LPGA and PGA Tour history
- This is Henderson’s 24th event of the 2019 season; she won the LOTTE Championship and the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give, and has eight other top-10 finishes
- She tied for 26th at the 2018 Buick LPGA Shanghai
Rolex Rankings No. 19 Jessica Korda (68-67)
- She hit 10 of 14 fairways and 11 of 18 greens, with 25 putts
- Korda is in her ninth season on the LPGA Tour; she has five career victories, most recently at the 2018 Honda LPGA Thailand
- This is Korda’s 15th event of the 2019 season; her best finish is a tie for second at the Bank of Hope Founders Cup and she has three other top-10 finishes
- She is playing in her first Buick LPGA Shanghai
Rolex Rankings No. 16 Danielle Kang (69-67)
- She hit 12 of 14 fairways and 16 of 18 greens, with 29 putts
- Kang is in her eighth season on the LPGA Tour; she has wins at the 2017 KPMG Women’s PGA Championship and the 2018 Buick LPGA Shanghai
- This is Kang’s 19th event of the 2019 season; her best finish is a tie for second at the Kia Classic and the Walmart NW Arkansas Championship, and she has six other top-10 finishes
- She won the 2018 Buick LPGA Shanghai