Allison Emrey (Charlotte, North Carolina) heads into the final round of the Symetra Classic looking to become a first-time winner. She carded a second-round, bogey-free 5-under 67 to move to –8 overall and take a one-stroke lead going into Sunday’s final round. Emrey is competing this week just north of her hometown and has been surrounded by familiar faces for the first 36 holes.
“It’s so great. He has caddied for me all through junior golf,” said Emrey, who has her father on the bag in Davidson. “It’s just familiar and somebody to confirm my decisions and reads on the greens. It’s also really nice to have my mom be able to watch out here the last two days as well.”
This week is Emrey’s sixth appearance in the Symetra Classic. She has proven to play well in North Carolina, most recently last fall at the Carolina Golf Classic presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina where she placed second to eventual Symetra Tour Player of the Year Ana Belac (Portoroz, Slovenia). Emrey also spent her collegiate years in the Tar Heel State, competing for the Demon Deacons at Wake Forest University.
“I grew up playing here, so I am very comfortable on Bermuda grass. I feel like we don’t get to play on that many courses that have Bermuda rough and fairways and the greens,” said Emrey. “There are so many great golf courses here (in North Carolina) so it means a lot that we come here every year. Just to be able to sleep in your own bed is huge when you are on the road half of the year. I’ve felt comfortable so far, executed well, and looking forward to tomorrow.”
Sunday, she will head out in the final round from No. 1 tee at 12:40 p.m. ET.
- Emrey is a native of Charlotte, North Carolina
- Won the 2009 North & South Junior Championship
- Captured the 2015 Colorado State Women’s Open title
- Named to the 2015 All-ACC Team for Wake Forest University
- Collected a total of eight top-10 results in Demon Deacons career
- 2015 Women’s Golf Coaches Association (WGCA) Honorable Mention All-American
- Finished T117 at the 2015 LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament to first earn Symetra Tour membership as a 2016 rookie
- Secured a Symetra Tour career-best performance of 5th at the 2017 IOA Golf Classic
- Finished T45 at the 2017 LPGA Final Qualifying Tournament to first earn LPGA Tour membership as a 2018 rookie
- Made two cuts across 10 starts on the LPGA Tour in 2018 with a season-best of T50 at the LOTTE Championship presented by Hershey
- Made 11 cuts across 21 starts on the Symetra Tour in 2019 with a season-best finish of T5 at the SKYiGOLF Championship
- Made seven cuts across 10 starts on the Symetra Tour in 2020 with a season-best finish of second at the Carolina Golf Classic presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina