A quick look at this week’s HSBC Women’s Champions:
- This week’s field is the best of the year, with 19 of the top 20 in the Rolex Women’s World Golf Rankings participating. Only I.K. Kim (No. 12) is not playing.
- There are 63 players in the field, including one amateur, and there is no cut.
- Pairings: Last week in Thailand, Nos. 1-2-3 Inbee Park, Suzann Pettersen and Stacy Lewis were paired together in the first round. This week they are in separate groups but Park and Pettersen are in consecutive groups with Lewis only two behind.
- No. 1: Pettersen can move to No. 1 for the first time in her career with a win and if Park finishes T3 with two others or worse. Lewis cannot move to No. 1.
- The Serapong Course has four par 5s, but only one of them is more than 500 yards long. The finishing hole is a 498-yard par 5.
- Hot Players: Jiyai Shin and Na Yeon Choi each have four top-10 finishes in six starts in Singapore. Choi has finished second twice and Shin won in 2009. Shin gave up her LPGA membership this season to play in Japan.
- Americans: Angela Stanford and Stacy Lewis have won the last two HSBC Champions.
- This week’s title sponsor, HSBC, also is the sponsor the World Golf Championships event in China on the PGA Tour in November.
- After this week, the LPGA returns to the United States for 10 consecutive tournaments from mid-March to late June. The first U.S. event is the LPGA Founders Cup March 20-23 in Phoenix, Ariz.