With the first International Crown tournament nearly one month away, here’s a look at the fifth-seeded Spanish team:
- The Spanish could make up the all-Pacific 12 Conference team. Azahara Munoz and Carlota Ciganda played at Arizona State and Belen Mozo at Southern California.
- The 2009 NCAA Tournament was held at Caves Valley in Owings Mills, Md., the site for this year’s International Crown. Arizona State won the team title, behind Munoz and Ciganda. USC finished third with Mozo. The only other team with an International Crown participant was fourth-place Oklahoma State, which had Pernilla Lindberg and Carolyn Hedwall of Sweden on its squad.
- Belen Mozo, the fourth player on the Spanish team, has a T10 and a T4 in two of her last three LPGA starts. The T4 at the Manulife Financial LPGA Classic two weeks ago was the best of her career.
- Beatriz Recari has the most LPGA wins (three) on her team and won twice in 2013. She was also noted for the nickname “Iron Woman” after playing in 62 consecutive LPGA tournaments, dating from the 2010 Lorena Ochoa Invitational to the May 2013 Mobile Bay LPGA Classic, without a missed start.
- Carlota Ciganda made her Solheim Cup debut in 2013 and had a 3-0-0 record in the European Tour victory, including a Fourball win with International Crown teammate Azahara Munoz.
- Azahara Munoz’s only career LPGA victory came at the 2012 Sybase Match Play Championship. En route to the win, she beat International Crown participants Lindsey Wright (Australia), Karrie Webb (Australia), Stacy Lewis (U.S.) and Candie Kung (Chinese Taipei).
- Spain opens International Crown play against Thailand on July 24.
Topics: International Crown